In the Land of Stolen Elections
After practicing stealing elections internationally for decades, the technique has been refined in the United States over the last eight years. As we approach another election, there is a possibility of the current elections being stolen as well. Robert F. Kennedy Jr. and Greg Palast have a must read article in Rolling Stone "Block the Vote" (or here).
Within the article Kennedy and Palast explain the top six strategies for disenfrachising voters (and ACORN is not among them):
- Obstructing voter registration drives;
- Demanding "perfect matches" between voter registration name and other official documents (for example, I may be S Rowan Wolf on my voter registration and S. Rowan Wolf on my driver's license and that would make me ineligible to vote)
- Purging legitimate voters from the roles;
- Requiring unnecessary voter identification;
- Rejecting "spoiled" ballots;
- Challenging provisional ballots.
But we can fight back!
One of the most important tools is information on how to fight having your vote stolen. To that end, Kennedy and Palast have written the Steal Back Your Vote comic book (which you can view here). Share this information with as many folks as you can. If you can donate even a few bucks to the Steal Back Your Vote effort then donate at the Steal Back Your Vote site, and you can get free online copies of both the SBYV comic book and the Rolling Stone article. (Yes, I threw a donation in the kitty to make these resources available through my site).
Voters roles are being purged, votes redirected, voters being challenged, as you read this. The most likely to have their vote not count are low income and voters of color (big surprise). It is critical that we all be informed and alert to disenfranchisement and stolen elections. As we have heard, the U.S. is purportedly the "city on the hill" for the rest of the world. If we allow elections to be manipulated and stolen here, what message does that send?